Media Release | Sunday October 20, 2013
John Robertson MP, NSW Opposition Leader
Penny Sharpe MLC, Shadow Transport Minister
O'FARRELL'S NEW TRAIN TIMETABLE FULL OF CUTS
- Government’s claim of new peak hour train services fudged by widening definition of peak hour. (6am to 9am now extended to 10am; 3pm to 6pm extended to 7pm).
- No increase in train services on weekends despite rapidly worsening weekend road congestion.
- No consultation with the public – Government failed to issue a draft timetable for comment despite embarking on biggest rewrite of train timetable in generations.
- Major loss of peak hour services at smaller but important stations along Blue Mountains, Newcastle/Central Coast and Illawarra/South Coast lines (particularly from Helensburgh to Wollongong) and throughout network.
- More people will be forced to drive to major stations yet Government has allocated no extra funding for commuter car parking. This will force people to give up on trains altogether and simply drive to work.